The Bulldog Club of Texas was founded in the Houston area in 1947. This club has the distinction of being the first Bulldog club in the state of Texas, and was the first member club of the Bulldog Club of America in Division IV.]
There has been speculation about whether this club was actually the first Bulldog club recognized by the AKC in the state of Texas. To make certain, an inquiry and a search of the AKC archives confirms that this is correct.
Many Bulldog fanciers desired to promote the best interests of the breed in Texas. The club's Charter members include: Richard Mase, Hinds Poth, Ruth Barret, Mr. Jeffries, Mr. and Mrs. Jerome, Ertha Alexander, Ed Winfield, Captain Mitchell, Dub Del and Tex Neddleton.
The first president of the Club was Mr. Jeffries (first name is not known).
It should be noted that the Savages of California, both AKC-approved Bulldog judges, were also instrumental in helping this club get started.