Member Code of Ethics
THE BULLDOG CLUB OF AMERICA
CODE OF ETHICS
This Code of Ethics is established to set a standard of acceptable behavior for the Bulldog Club of America (BCA) members and promote the objectives of our founders as set forth in Article 1 of our Constitution. The Code is designed to protect the integrity of the Club and serve as a guideline for BCA members when buying, breeding, selling and exhibiting Bulldogs.
- As a member of BCA, I will abide by the Constitution and By-Laws, Divisional By-Laws of the BCA, the rules of the American Kennel Club (AKC), and the breed standard as adopted by the BCA.
- As a member of the BCA, I will maintain the best possible standards of canine health, cleanliness and care. I will make reasonable effort within my breeding program to minimize the occurrence of known genetic abnormalities, or breed standard disqualifications. I will keep accurate breeding records, registration papers, pedigrees and sales of all my Bulldogs. I will furnish accurate records to each buyer, including all veterinary examinations, vaccinations, parasite treatments, pedigree and AKC registration or transfer documents, unless written agreement is made at the time of sale that papers will be withheld.
- As a member of the BCA, I will conduct all advertising in an honest manner that will not, in any way, misrepresent, defraud or be misleading, nor will I malign my competition by making false or misleading statements regarding my competitors' dogs, breeding practices or person.
- As a member of the BCA, if I have a written agreement for services and sales it will be mutually agreed upon and signed by all parties involved. Contracts covering the sale of intact male dogs will include language prohibiting the sale at auction of any breeding, including sale of the dog's frozen semen, by the buyer of the dog.
- As a member of the BCA, I will offer only dogs for stud or bitches for breeding that are in good health, free from communicable diseases, and that do not have a breed standard disqualification. I will not register, or provide for registration by others, on a full registration any dog or bitch possessing a breed standard disqualification; such registrations may be made on a limited registration only, and any written sales agreement shall state that the dog or bitch shall not be used for reproduction.
- I will not breed to bitches unless they are registered with AKC or a registry recognized by AKC, nor offer at stud a dog that is not registered with AKC or a registry recognized by AKC.
- As a member of the BCA, I agree that I will not, to my knowledge, breed any stud dog to any bitch whose owner is directly involved with any puppy broker, litter lot sales or any other commercial enterprise whose business is involved in like activities or does not adhere to the standards of care and breeding described within this Code of Ethics. I will not to my knowledge sell a Bulldog to any commercial facility, puppy broker, pet shop or agent thereof. Nor will I offer any Bulldog for auction or raffle.
- As a member of the BCA, I will conduct myself at all times in such a manner as to reflect credit on the sport of purebred dogs in general and Bulldogs in particular.
I fully understand that if I fail to conduct myself or my purebred dog actives in accordance with the above stated Code of Ethics, I may be subject to Discipline, per Article VI of the BCA Divisional By Laws.