When the English immigrated to America, their Bulldogs came with them. A few dedicated bulldog fanciers formed the Bulldog Club of America in 1890. The Club was incorporated under the laws of the State of New York on November 29, 1904. The club was formed for the purposes well stated by the framers of its Constitution (about BCA).
The BCA was one of the first breed clubs to become a member of the new regulatory registry and show-approval organization, The American Kennel Club. BCA was originally composed of a small group of men in the northeastern United States. After it was established in the northeast, membership in the group began to spread across the country. The structure of the Club was reshaped in 1950 to recognize that fact. At that time the two-tiered structure of the club was adopted. Sectional groups united in a strong national organization to serve the best interest of the breed.
One major goal of BCA's reorganization was to guarantee representation in all areas of the country. The club structure was organized in a form similar to our national government. One National organization composed of Divisions comprising groups of states.
More About the Bulldog Club of America
Although the National organization sets policy and governs the organization, each of the Divisions is responsible for BCA activities within the Division's territory. Information about the Divisions and local clubs can be found under Local Information.
The Bulldog Club of America is committed to the preservation of our noble breed by maintaining a standard of excellence for the guidance of breeders, owners, and judges. We seek to improve the breed by encouraging efforts aimed at producing sound and healthy dogs with the degree of excellence established in the Standard for the Breed. We also seek to encourage interest in the competitive public showing of Bulldogs in conformation and performance events under the auspices of the American Kennel Club. BCA works for the general good of breeders, owners and exhibitors of Bulldogs.