Milwaukee Bulldog Club
The Milwaukeee Bulldog Club was incorporated in 1967, although the club's first meeting was on Nov. 8, 1959.Early meetings were conducted at the Wisconsin Humane Society building.
Charter members were Earl and Jean Smith, Katherine Richardson, Edna Glass, and Harold and Adair Templin. Adair is still active with the club today.
The club held its first AKC approved match on June 14, 1964. The entry of 23 was judged by Alfred Treen, an all-breed judge and a noted Wisconsin Dalmation breeder.
The club's first specialty show was held on June 14, 1969 in Menomonee Falls, Wisconsin. The judge of 38 entries was Dr. E. M. Vardon, who chose Ch. Cherokee Morgan, owned by Cody Sickle, as his Best of Breed, and Ch. Ashford Superb Brigid, owned by James McMannus' Ashford Kennels, as his Best of Opposite Sex to Best of Breed.
On August 9, 1969, the club hosted the Bulldog Club of America's Division II puppy match at Higgins Hob Nob in Kenosha, Wisconsin. The judge was long-time breeder-judge Mrs. Marie Andree of Indiana.
The Milwaukee Bulldog Club, which is the only Bulldog club in the state, appreciates its participation with the Combined Specialty Clubs of Milwaukee, which offers five nearby shows in late July. The Club unites with this organization to make the 'Wonderful Wisconsin Weekend" of five shows in five days with five Bulldog breeder-judges.
Emerald Glen Kennel of Salem, Wisconsin, and co-owned by Ray Knudson, who is a long-time editor of the Bulldog Club of America's official publication The Bulldogger, hosts the annual MBC Puppy Match. It begins with a Bulldogger picnic on the grounds of the kennel during the "Wonderful Wisconsin Weekend" with many specialty show exhibitors and Bulldog breeders attending.
Club membership has varied throughout the years, and meetings are held quarterly at varied locations, usually at a members’ home or at local restaurants.
Submitted by Ray Knudson