Kentuckiana Bulldog Club
The Kentuckiana Bulldog Club was founded in 1948, with its first meeting on Tuesday, April 6, 1948. There were 18 Charter members who organized the club. Members listed on the roll call for these meetings during 1948 and 1949 are:
Ed and Katherine Berry, Richard and Catherine Borie, Mr. and Mrs. Cilbrish, Mr. Collins, Mr. and Mrs. Crowe, Mr. and Mrs. Croniams, Mrs. DeRalph, Mrs. Drickman, Mr. Koop, Mrs. Phelps, Fred and Elizabeth Winterkorn, Mr. and Mrs. Thompson, Mrs. Mulligan, Mr. and Mrs. Taylor, Mr. Jensen, Mr. Cootes and Dr. Collings.
The club was organized by Bulldog owners from southern Indiana and northern Kentucky who lived in the area of Louisville, Kentucky.
Charter member, Catherine Borie, suggested the Club be called the Kentuckiana Bulldog Club and this name was adopted.
The club's Constitution states that “the Club is established with the view to promote the breeding of pure-bred English Bulldogs; to define precisely a definition of true type, and to urge the adoption of such by breeders, judges, dog show committees, as the only recognized and unvarying standard by which Bulldogs ought to be judged, which may in the future be uniformly accepted as a sole standard of excellence in breeding and awarding prizes of merit; and by giving prizes, supporting shows, and taking steps to do all in its power to protect and advance the interests of the breed.”
Charter members and others were very active in breeding and showing the Bulldog and in establishing the specialty show and puppy match during the 1950s-1960s and 1970s.
The membership became less active during the 1980s and early 1990s, and activities of the club declined. At one time in the1980s, only five members were active enough to conduct a very successful Specialty show.
In the mid-1990s, the membership began to grow again, and the club boasts one of the largest and most active memberships in its history.
Billy and Barbara Glenn and Phyllis Huff have been members of the club for 30 years.
Officers of the club include president, vice-president, secretary, and treasurer. The officers serve two-year terms and can succeed themselves. The president and treasurer are elected in even-numbered years. The vice-president and secretary are elected in odd-numbered years.
The club is governed by a Board of Directors, consisting of the immediate past president and the current officers. The past president serves as Chairman of the Board. A quorum of three members of the Board of Directors is needed to conduct official business.
Membership dues are $15 the first year and $10 each subsequent year. Trophy donations of $5 are expected from members.
The Kentuckiana Bulldog Club is known for its tradition of great hospitality, friendliness of its members and dignified manner in which activities are conducted. The charter members believed in and respected the independent thoughts of the individual members and kept their major emphasis on the benefit of the Bulldog.
The tradition of meeting in members’ homes began with the first official meeting of the club in 1948, and has continued whenever possible. These meetings are balanced with public facility meetings which are handicapped accessible.
The Club began donating engraved mint julep cups for the top seven winners at specialty shows. This tradition was repeated at the KBC's 50th Anniversary Specialty in 1998. Engraved mint julep cups also are given each year as gifts to the Puppy match, Sweepstakes, and Specialty show judges.
An engraved traveling trophy was created by John and Helen Bushemeyer to recognize members of the KBC who finished champions. The trophy is presented to the member and the details of the championship are engraved on a plate at the base of the trophy. The trophy is kept and maintained by the member until another member finishes a champion.
The Bushemeyers also established a legal fund of $500 to be used by any member needing legal assistance.
The KBC conducts a Puppy match, a Sweepstakes, and a Specialty show in March of each year. For many years the club has one of the largest of entries in the area and normally draws a 4-point or 5-point major. A banquet and an auction is conducted following the specialty show as an annual fund-raising project.
Submitted by Barbara Glenn