The Bulldog Club of Northern California was founded around 1931 by bulldog fanciers in the San Francisco area. Early meetings were held in members’ homes and in a member’s kennel supply store.
Principal founders of the club were H. P. Beddau, William Draycott, William Ballantyne, and K.V. Van Arsdol.
Charter members were: William Draycott, president (1932 – 1938); William Ballantyne, vice president; Dr. Gladys Boxton Olson, secretary, Mr. and Mrs. George Place, Mr. and Mrs. K.V. Van Arsdol, Mr. and Mrs. W. S. Bayus, Mr. and Mrs. G. E. Nelson. Mr. and Mrs. E. O. Bonniers, Mr. and Mrs. E. O. Pieper, A. C. Fisher, H. P. Beddau, and Alice Hager.
The first match was held at the estate of Mabel Fox in 1939. It was truly a fun match with classes for the Bulldog with the longest tail, the biggest head, and so forth. The event ended with a costume parade.
The club's first AKC-sanctioned show was held May 23, 1948 at the Presidio. Fifty-one Bulldogs were entered, and they were judged by William Fox.
The club’s insignia was adapted from the Bulldog head that was used for years by the Golden Gate Kennel Club for their trophies and catalogs. That club had many Bulldog fanciers, but its use of the Bulldog head ceased in the 1940s.